Skiatook High School Athletics


Bulldogs rally to beat Shawnee


SHAWNEE — Class 5A No. 5 Skiatook junior running back Shae Garner scored the go-ahead touchdown on an 8-yard double-reverse with 2:12 left in the game Friday as the Bulldogs remained unbeaten with a 28-27 win at Shawnee. Skiatook improved to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in District 5A-3. Skiatook hosts No. 4 McAlester next week in a showdown of the district’s top two teams. Shawnee (2-2 overall and 1-1 in district) took a 27-21 lead with 7:15 to go in the game after the Wolves capitalized on a Skiatook fumble near midfield before Skiatook went on its 65-yard drive near the end of the game for the win. Skiatook had a 21-7 lead at halftime, but Shawnee managed to claw back into the game in the second half behind several big plays from quarterback Jack Diamond and running back Malik Tate. Tate, standing only 5-foot-7, had a great game in particular, rushing for 143 yards. Still, Skiatook managed to come out on top, despite some uncharacteristic turnovers and some sloppy penalties, which is a testament to the hard-nosed grit of the team. For the first quarter and a half, Shawnee dominated time of possession, and the game. Skiatook started the game with a fumble on its very first possession, and the Wolves converted on the opportunity and then stopped the Bulldogs, going on to end the quarter with a 7-0 lead. Behind three touchdowns, Skiatook managed to regain the lead in the second quarter. The first score came on a deep pass from Brendon Babb to Jaren Knight, and then an interception and long run from Shae Garner set up Skiatook for another touchdown, and they took a 14-7 lead with a quarterback sneak. Another touchdown came near the two-minute mark on a TD pass from Babb to senior Don’Tray Wilkerson, who scored his first touchdown of his inaugural – and final – season of varsity football. The Bulldogs defense was much improved in the second quarter, shutting out Shawnee. The second half started with both teams swapping possessions, and it was Shawnee who managed to score first in the second half on a long screen pass and run down the home sideline, and a blocked PAT resulted in Skiatook’s lead being cut to 21-13.